Katie Novak is currently the Assistant Superintendent of the Groton-Dunstable Regional School District. With 12 years of teaching experience and an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching, Katie designs and presents workshops both nationally and internationally focusing on teacher implementation of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and the Common Core. Some professional highlights are below.
- Author of best-selling book on inclusive education, UDL Now! A Teacher’s Monday Morning Guide to Common Core Implementation using Universal Design for Learning, published by CAST Professional Publications (2014).
- Earned Ed.D. from Boston University in Curriculum and Instruction in English/language arts and literacy, K-12. Completed graduate studies in both language acquisition and reading instruction.
- Independent presenter for CAST (The Center for Applied Science and Technology) and a member of the UDL Professional Learning Cadre. Invited to present at numerous workshops, including Harvard University’s summer session, for teachers K-12, about designing and implementing a UDL curriculum with a focus on literacy.
- Selected by the Teaching Channel to be featured in a series of videos about teacher excellence in implementing the Common Core in English/language arts with a focus on reading and writing.
- Teach graduate level courses focused on UDL and Common Core implementation in grades K-12. Exemplary evaluations from teachers K-12 in the course.
Presenter at the following conferences/workshops:
- “Universal Design for Learning: Tools for All Educators in Serving All Students, Vermont Council of Special Education Administrators conference, Manchester, VT: November, 2014
- “Introduction to UDL,” Shore Collaborative Presentation, Chelsea, MA: November, 2014
- UDL-palooza, Oakland, MI: November, 2014
- West Hartford Public Schools UDL Workshop, West Hartford, CT, October, 2014
- “Implementation of Universal Design for Learning” keynote presentation at ULearn conference in Rotorua, New Zealand: October, 2014
- “UDL Immersion Experience” PD presentation, Silver Lake Regional School District, Kingston, MA: August, 2014
- Keynote presenter at the Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation (BCSC) UDL Institute: Columbus, IN: July 2013, 2014
- “UDL Immersion Experience” keynote. UDL Summer Institute, Towson University, Towson, MD: June, 2014
- “Take a Walk in Our Shoes” for the UDL Strand at Center for Exceptional Children (CEC) Convention and Expo: Philadelphia, PA 2014
- “Harnessing the Power of ECET2″ at Elevating and Celebrating Teachers and Teaching (ECET2) conference hosted by the Gates Foundation, Snowbird, UT: February, 2014
- “Transforming Teaching: One Story at a Time,” as a member of the Teacher PR Corps at Social Media Week in NYC: February, 2014
- “Sharing Common Core Standards with Students” at Elevating and Celebrating Teachers and Teaching (ECET2) conference hosted by the Gates Foundation, LaJolla, CA, 2013
- Teacher panel presenter at NBC Education Nation, NYC, 2013
- “Universal Design,” model lesson and webinar sponsored by Jobs for the Future (JFF) through the US Department of Education’s School Turnaround Learning Community, an online community of practice, Boston, MA, 2013
- “Conquering the Core” keynote presenter and “Common Core Narrative Writing the UDL Way,” presenter at Massachusetts Common Core Conference, hosted by the Massachusetts Teachers Association (MTA) and UMass Boston, 2013. Won an award for best presentation and overall excellence in teaching.
- “Teacher Core Revolution” presenter. National Teacher Voice convening, hosted by the Gates Foundation, Washington, DC, 2013
- “UDL Immersion Experience” at Harvard University’s UDL Summer Session, Boston, MA, 2012, 2013
If your school district is moving toward Common Core implementation or adopting the UDL framework, please contact me so we can discuss your professional development needs. My keynotes and presentations are energetic, engaging, and anything but typical. I promise.