Katie Novak, Ed.D.
Katie Novak, Ed.D. is an internationally renowned education consultant as well as a practicing leader in education as an Assistant Superintendent of Schools at the Groton-Dunstable Regional School District in Massachusetts. With 15 years of experience in teaching and administration, an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching, and 4 books published by CAST Professional Publications, Katie designs and presents workshops both nationally and internationally focusing on implementation of Universal Design for Learning (UDL) and universally designed leadership.
Dr. Novak is the author of Revised and Expanded Edition: UDL Now! A Teacher’s Guide to Applying Universal Design for Learning in Today’s Classrooms, which has sold over 20,000 copies worldwide. Her upcoming book, Let Them Thrive: A Playbook for Helping Your Child Succeed in School and in Life, will be released on August 1, 2017. Two additional publications, of which she is a co-author, have been endorsed by leading professors in the field of education and state departments of education. UDL in the Cloud was endorsed by the Executive Director of The Initiative on Learning and Teaching at MIT while Mitchell Chester, the Commissioner of the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE), endorsed Universally Designed Leadership.
Novak’s work in UDL has impacted educators worldwide as her contributions and collaborations have built upon the foundation for an educational framework that is critical for student success. Partnering with her for professional development will ensure an engaging, motivating experience that will improve the practice of all educators in attendance.
- Earned Ed.D. from Boston University in Curriculum and Instruction, K-12.
- Member of CAST’s Professional Cadre which is a premiere group that represents the broadest range of talent available for providing professional development in UDL around the world.
- As a classroom teacher, selected by the Teaching Channel to be featured in a series of videos about teacher excellence.
- Author of the highly anticipated Let Them Thrive: A Playbook for Helping Your Child Succeed in School and in Life, August 2017
- Author of best-selling book on inclusive education, Revised and Expanded Edition: UDL Now! Again: A Teacher’s Guide to Applying Universal Design for Learning in Today’s Classrooms, CAST Professional Publishing, September 2016
- Universally Designed Leadership: Applying UDL to Systems and Schools with co-author Kristan Rodriguez, CAST Professional Publishing, September 2016
- UDL in the Cloud with co-author Tom Thibodeau, published by CAST Professional Publishing.
- A Scene Shifter: Personalization Under UDL, School Administrator Magazine, November, 2015
If your school district is moving toward adopting or implementing the UDL framework, multi-tiered systems of support or next generation skills, contact Katie to discuss your professional development needs. Katie’s keynotes, presentations, and webinars are energetic, engaging, and anything but typical.
Tom Thibodeau is the co-author of UDL in the Cloud and currently oversees and provides online professional development courses with Katie Novak.
Tom has also been an assistant provost at the New England Institute of Technology in East Greenwich, RI for 15 years As assistant provost, Tom serves as the division chair for nine academic departments with 23 degree programs (AS, BS & MS) and over 1,200 students. He also leads faculty development, outcomes assessment and attendance tracking through a team-based approach. As facilitator of new faculty orientation, Tom stresses the use of UDL, active learning, problem-based learning and technology-enhanced teaching and learning. He managed development of NEIT’s first online degree program in Information Technology and implemented a new curriculum mapping process.
Tom started at NEIT in 1990 as an adjunct instructor in video production and then an assistant professor, department chair and director of the Center for Distributed Learning and the Faculty Resource Center. He has been working in online learning since 1996.