Katie Novak is currently the Assistant Superintendent of the Groton-Dunstable Regional School District. With 13 years of experience in teaching and administration and an earned doctorate in curriculum and teaching, Katie designs and presents workshops both nationally and internationally focusing on teacher implementation of Universal Design for Learning (UDL), MTSS, 21st Century Skills, and Common Core implementation. Some professional highlights are below.
- Earned Ed.D. from Boston University in Curriculum and Instruction, K-12.
- Selected by the Teaching Channel to be featured in a series of videos about teacher excellence.
- Member of CAST’s Professional Cadre which is a premiere group that represents the broadest range of talent available for providing professional development in UDL.
- Teach face-to-face, hybrid, and online graduate level courses focused on UDL and Mastering the Art of Writing using Common Core standards. Exemplary evaluations in all courses.
- A Scene Shifter: Personalization Under UDL, School Administrator Magazine, November, 2015
- Author of best-selling book on inclusive education, UDL Now! A Teacher’s Monday Morning Guide to Common Core Implementation using Universal Design for Learning
- UDL in the Cloud with co-author Tom Thibodeau (coming January, 2016), published by CAST Professional Publications.
Presenter at the following conferences/workshops:
- “How to Implement Universal Design for Learning” webinar, NZ Catholic Education Office, Wellington, New Zealand, June 2015
- “A Call for UDL in Higher Education,” Center for Academic Excellence (CAE) and New England Faculty Development Consortium (NEFDC) Conference, Fairfield University: May, 2015
- “UDL and Common Core Standards Webinar,” Minnesota Department of Education, April, 2015
- “Universal Design for Learning: Tools for All Educators in Serving All Students,” Vermont Council of Special Education Administrators conference, Manchester, VT: November, 2014
- UDL-palooza, Oakland, MI: November, 2014
- “Implementation of Universal Design for Learning” keynote presentation at ULearn conference in Rotorua, New Zealand: October, 2014
- “UDL Immersion Experience” keynote. UDL Summer Institute, Towson University, Towson, MD: June, 2014
- “Take a Walk in Our Shoes” for the UDL Strand at Center for Exceptional Children (CEC) Convention and Expo: Philadelphia, PA 2014
- “Harnessing the Power of ECET2” at Elevating and Celebrating Teachers and Teaching (ECET2) conference hosted by the Gates Foundation, Snowbird, UT: February, 2014
- “Transforming Teaching: One Story at a Time,” as a member of the Teacher PR Corps at Social Media Week in NYC: February, 2014
- “Sharing Common Core Standards with Students” at Elevating and Celebrating Teachers and Teaching (ECET2) conference hosted by the Gates Foundation, LaJolla, CA, 2013
- Teacher panel presenter at NBC Education Nation, NYC, 2013
- “Universal Design,” model lesson and webinar sponsored by Jobs for the Future (JFF) through the US Department of Education’s School Turnaround Learning Community, an online community of practice, Boston, MA, 2013
- “Conquering the Core” keynote presenter and “Common Core Narrative Writing the UDL Way,” presenter at Massachusetts Common Core Conference, hosted by the Massachusetts Teachers Association (MTA) and UMass Boston, 2013. Won an award for best presentation and overall excellence in teaching.
- “Teacher Core Revolution” presenter. National Teacher Voice convening, hosted by the Gates Foundation, Washington, DC, 2013
- “UDL Immersion Experience” at Harvard University’s UDL Summer Session, Boston, MA, 2012, 2013
Presenter at the following schools/districts:
- Central Maine Community College, Auburn, ME: November, 2015
- Santa Barbara Department of Education, Santa Barbara, CA: November, 2015
- Y.A.L.E. School, Cherry Hill, NJ: November, 2015
- CESA #1, Pewaukee, WI: October, 2015
- Southwick-Tolland-Granville Regional School District, MA: September, 2015
- Washington West School District, VT: September, 2015
- South Burlington School District, VT: August, 2015
- Colchester, VT: August, 2015
- Orange County Department of Education, Costa Mesa, CA: April, 2015
- Shore Collaborative Presentation, Chelsea, MA: November, 2014
- Silver Lake Regional School District, Kingston, MA: August, 2014, 2015
- Bartholomew Consolidated School Corporation (BCSC) UDL Institute: Columbus, IN: July 2013, 2014
If your school district is moving toward adopting or implementing the UDL framework, MTSS, or 21st Century Skills, contact me so we can discuss your professional development needs. My keynotes, presentations, and webinars are energetic, engaging, and anything but typical. I promise.